Reigniting writing

It has been years since I last posted anything on this page, and for some reason I almost closed down the page. I would like to resurrect my writing juices and get back to sharing my views about anything and everything I have encountered since my last story. Yes, my last story was on my sister's untimely passing, and coincidently, this month is her 6th Anniversary.

Ever since that time until now, it has been a worlwind of events both personal and public, institutionalising a concept in our 10 year old community based organisation, to my wife's transition into politics; has changed the landscape of how we engage with people around us. Since the inclusion of my two precious gems in Mario and Talitha, my focus has been on how I ensure these two human beings, which I and my dear wife will raise up; become independent adults who will be able to take on the challenges which will come their way.

Needless to say, a family unit is an organisation itself. The management, resourcing, capacity building and growth is demonstrated solely by the parents/parent. Myself and Theonila, raising our children whilst pursuing our goals has been a very delicate balance, especially, in ensuring we provide sufficient time to attend to their emotional and intellectual development, and offcourse our careers in our chosen paths.

Writing has and continues to be a passion for me, lately my wife has begun writing her own book, and impressively has almost reached one hundred thousand words. Myself, on the other hand, have begun writing three fiction books, the first two books are almost done, and the third is still in the works. I have yet to put my work out for peer review.

Work has also has had an impact on how we manage our daily activities. I am employed fulltime as the Community Engagement Lead to the Panguna Mine Legacy Assessment Secretariat, which is the interface of the process with the impacted communities. Come December 2024 I anticipate to pursue my lifelong dream of establishing my own eatery business in Buka. But this is a plan that has been shelved for a decade due to commitments to our family establishment in Panguna.

The John Roka Memorial School has now increased its engagement delving into other necessary components needed for the development of the human resource of Panguna. It is now called John Roka Counselling & Learning Centre, employing a staff of 7 facilitators with two locations, with the intent to further branch out to further our outreach.

This year, I will be celebrating my 10 years of marriage. I know this is just a decade, but a personal milestone that myself and Theonila as we continue to work as one unit to achieve our dreams. She continues to amaze me everyday as she is a trailblazer setting a different pace and tone to Bougainville's political landscape with her originality and style of leadership. I say this not as her husband, but as an observant to the Bougainville political process. 

For myself, I have been very much involved with people, information, engagements, dissemination, gauge feedback and data to inform. I intend to continue further studies come 2025, and, if God allows, continue on to a PhD. My current work has linked me with some of the best mentors I can ask for, who continue to mentor and provide very good advise on management and career. 

As I attempt to reignite my writing, I will ensure to post a word or two from now on. I know blogging seems to be outdated, I don't mind using this platform to provide readers with insights into so much that is happening in an island region that is at the point of moving into independence in the near future.


    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Talitha’s Story

MISIMA ISLAND (Part One)

Theonila's story